During our trip we stored our car different times. Below is an overview of the storage facilities we used. iOverlander now has a category Vehicle Storage with storage information from overlanders. Our storage:
- Nairobi - Kenya (6 weeks): stored at Jungle Junction during the CDP validity period, no special paperwork was needed. The car was stored uncovered, costs were € 60 per month. Taxi service to / from the airport, camping and a car/motorcycle workshop were available;
- Johannesburg - South Africa (6 months): stored at BoBo Campers located at Bouwers Industrial Park in Johannesburg, ten minutes from the airport during the CDP validity period. We did not need special paperwork. Costs were ZAR 450 per month for indoor storage. The main activity of the company is camper rental. Facilities are in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Windhoek, all run by members of a Dutch family. They provide airport transfers, camping facilities and car maintenance support. From other travelers who tried to use the same facility we learned that their current space availability is very limited;
- Temuco - Chile (emergency, 3 weeks): stored at the local police station. Paperwork would have been necessary, but we skipped it due to the emergency. Although Jan had a stamp "entered with vehicle" on his entry form no hard questions were asked when we left by plane;
- Lima - Peru (4 weeks): stored at a private car workshop, extensive paperwork;
- Melbourne - Australia: It appeared that a customs permit is needed to store your vehicle in Australia while you leave the country yourself. After we provided date and place of departure, storage location, date of return and reason for storage we obtained it quickly from the AAA. We stored the car at Caravan Storage in Clarkefield, just north of Melbourne. The car was stored in a container on a very well protected terrain. Fee was AUD 150 per month.